RE: Word up

Subject: RE: Word up
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:39:20 -0500

Marguerite Krupp wrote:
>>I remember seeing an exhibit that Kodak did several years
>>ago, in which they gave some accomplished photographers a throw-away camera
>>with a 3-cent plastic lens and told them to take the best pictures they
>>could. The results were impressive. The point was that it's the creator, not
>>the tool, that makes good pictures.

Nobody on either side of this debate has yet claimed otherwise. I've seen the
same thing done with pin hole cameras. The display was created by dozens of
photographers using no more than film, a Coke can with a pin hole in one end,
and bits of dark cloth to cover the hole. The photos were truly outstanding.

Although, it might be said that in the case of photography the point and shoot
automatic has allowed even the unskilled to make 'good' or 'acceptable'
pictures. Then there's the argument supporting expensive tools and processes
from this analogy. What's the reason that all the photographers in each of these
examples went back to their 10 to 100 thousand (or more likely astronomically
more) dollar collection of equipment immediately after the exercise? Could it be
that the "one off" example can be accomplished, if necessary, with what may be
less than adequate/acceptable or barely adequate/acceptable equipment and
processes but that reproducible commercial quality work requires investment in
specialized tools and equipment?

Andrew Plato wrote:
>>In other words, accomplished writers know how to use the most powerful
>>documentation system in the universe: their brains.

I fully agree that brain power is one of the most powerful things a company can
have. But unfortunately brains are useless to the company once the contractors
and consultants move one or the department turn over moves them out. It's
already heinous what some companies view as intellectual property rights, let's
not give them more leeway. Once the brains move on and are replaced only the
structure and documentation process used give the company any advantage.

Eric L. Dunn

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230