Re: Less Real Value is More

Subject: Re: Less Real Value is More
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:33:48 -0800 (PST)

"Elizabeth Ross" wrote...

> From what I've heard, a $75,000/year salary typically translates into
> $150,000/year in costs to the employer (assuming a full-time employee).
> Things like vacation time, sick time, health insurance premiums, life
> insurance premiums, disability insurance premiums, un/employment insurance,
> training expenses, company lunches, company office parties, bonuses, stock
> options, and office overhead (desk, chair, computer, pens, reference
> material, lights, electricity) contribute to the actual cost of the
> employee, in addition to the salary being paid to said employee.

That's exactly right Elizabeth. Typically, you can add about 50% to 75% to a
salary to get an idea of what the total cost is for a company to hire a person.
I was merely being conservative with my numbers to demonstrate that even with
low paid writers, losing writers to non-writing tasks can be very expensive.

This is why it is important to be very prudent and deliberate when you adopt a
new, complex documentation system. The "return on investment" may be only in
the consultant's mind and not on paper.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230