Re: FrameMaker on Linux (rant)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker on Linux (rant)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:40:27 -0800

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

> You have to wonder who made the decision to run FM-Linux
> up the flagpole and then made the decision to NOT do
> the port from 6.0 while 6.0 was being developed/ported
> for all the currently-supported systems. They were asking
> for trouble there... or pre-ordaining the outcome.

An old story: when Adobe bought FrameMaker in 1995 or 1996, Frame's
developers were just releasing the second beta of an OS/2 version.
The Adobe management axed it. The developers went so far as to
petition the management to reconsider, and a couple are rumored to
have quite when the management refused.

I have no idea how many of the Frame developers have stuck with
Adobe, but I wonder if this group or a similar one advocated a Linux
version, and the feeble beta program was a way of satisfying them
and silencing them at the same time.

Or maybe it's just innate conservatism on the part of Adobe
management.

> Now, who's tried out KWord (on Linux), and how's it
> lookin' as a tech writer tool?

It's still a little too much on the basic side for tech writing - no
cross-references, for example. I've also heard some people complain
about stability problems, although I haven't seen any (but, then
again, I've never tried to use it for anything more than a dozen
pages).

The good news is that Frame users can feel comfortable very quickly
with it.

All in all, it's a program to watch - but not yet one to use for
serious work. I'd give it another release or two before recommending
it.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"You shot me down with friendly fire
You were all dressed up to play Gun for Hire
The rope you threw me was made of barbed wire
But put it there pal, put it there."
- Richard Thompson, "Put It There, Pal"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230