RE: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!

Subject: RE: Real value (was implementing single-source) - demonstrated!
From: "Glenn Emerson" <gemerso1 -at- rochester -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:27:02 -0500

Eric L. Dunn wrote:

>>PS: As for Glenn Emerson's challenge: "(Show me how you can SINGLE SOURCE
a motion picture to print and I'll give you a cigar.)"

Easy. In your source document/database you have both the motion picture and
a still picture of series of pictures. When outputting to print, the stills
are
used. When outputting to multimedia the motion picture is used.<<

Dear Eric:
That's not single source. It's content management. Show me how your SGML DTD
or XML DTD for textual instructions can generate the moving images. That's
single source. It's a myth.

This discussion was not about content management. It was about single
source.

Yes, you can build a content management system that integrates with a
database for graphics, etc. But why bother. There are commercially available
tools that let authoring teams manage content without a dedicated IT staff
to maintain all the proprietary DTDs and database connections and DSSSL/XSL
assets.

As for the amount of redundancy you cited, that can be cured by firing the
IT staff and using the savings to hire good editors. We used to have
editors. They brought a human brain to content management so we didn't have
to build expensive proprietary systems to achieve the same goal.

Regards,
Glenn Emerson

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230