Re: Noooooooooooo....damnit! (Word Problem)

Subject: Re: Noooooooooooo....damnit! (Word Problem)
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:35:12 -0500

At 12:20 PM 11/21/00, you wrote:
I assume you don't have automatic backups checked...

Are you confident that the problem is the file and not a change to Word that would merit re-installation? (Have you tried opening the file on someone else's machine?)

Have you deleted any earlier versions that you could undelete?

Did you send an earlier version to anyone who could send it back to you?

Is there a tmp version (usually starting with ~ followed by some inscrutable string) somewhere on your disk (often left in the directory where you were working when a crash occurs) that is still readable (you can try a disk search for ~*.* then sort the result by date and look at the date-time stamps near the time of your crash)?

If you recover any version of the file to use, setting automatic backup would be good, and saving it frequently (a nuisance, but potentially invaluable once you know you're working with a file that may have a corruption somewhere) under a new name would also be good. I've found that if a corruption recurs but I've saved a series of files, I can sometimes track it down or at least do something different (e.g., re-type text instead of pasting it) to work around re-introducing the corruption.

> Can anyone help with a MS Word 98 problem?
> I was working on a 70ish page Word document when it crashed..."not
unusual"
> I hear you say... ...except now I can't open the document without it
> crashing...does anyone know how I can rescue my document?

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
mailto:ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com