RE: CGM Pro 2000i and Freehand, Illustrator, Framemaker

Subject: RE: CGM Pro 2000i and Freehand, Illustrator, Framemaker
From: "Jeroen Dekker" <jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:38 +0100

> From: Archimede Ziviello <archimede -dot- ziviello -at- cannondale -dot- com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:48:53 -0500
>
> Anyone have experience setting up image file exports from their engineers
> and using the applications mentioned in the subject line?

Archimede,

When you posted a similar question back in August, I suggested two things:
1. using PostScript as the common storage and interchange format for your
engineers
2. using our commercial software to convert that to vector formats supported
by your documentation applications

As i haven't seen (m)any other replies to your posting, I feel obliged to
give it another go.

ad 1)
With or without our software, you'll be hard pressed to find a better format
for your engineers to output their designs to. First, it is a very rich and
robust format (file language actually) which handles vector graphics as well
as bitmap images and font text. Second, it's pretty much platform and
application independent - many technical packages on Unix output it
directly. On Windows, you can install a PostScript printer driver for your
engineers which defaults to print 'to file'. They can then use this in any
Windows engineering package they use: just print a design to that driver,
give it a filename and dump it in the directory of choice. From there, there
are several ways to get and use the designs in some of the applications you
name. Going to EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) is one of them, our ps2vector
software is another:

ad 2)
ps2vector (available for Windows, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX) converts
PostScript and EPS graphics to
- MIF for FrameMaker
- CGM
- WMF/EMF for import into Freehand and Illustrator
As 'native' vector graphics formats, your engineering designs cannot only be
imported into their respective applications, but they can also be scaled and
edited. They'll display at optimal quality at any screen or printer
resolution. Our ps2bitmap module by the way converts to TIFF, GIF and BMP,
should you prefer fixed image formats.

Depending on how you want to manage things, you can install our end user
software on the desktops of the documentation people to convert the files
they need to the format they need, or, you can build our filters into an
automated process - converting incoming PostScript files automatically to
all the needed formats in the directory you specify. This way, all your
engineers have to do is output their designs to PostScript (directly or by
print to file). All your documentation people need to do is pick up the file
in the format they need.

You can check us out at www.square1.nl/index.htm or contact me for a 30-day
trial of ps2vector on the platform you choose.

Hope we can help. Cheers,

Jeroen Dekker

--
The Graphics Connection