RE: Academic focus

Subject: RE: Academic focus
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:13:15 -0800 (PST)

Exactly. But regardless of WHERE, professors (and no
offense to any who may be reading this) have their own
biased opinions as to what it takes to do X well. And
they'll push that on the student, whether consciously
or not, because it's what they know, and they are
there to teach what they know. It is up to the student
to critically evaluate each and every scenario and
determine for himself/herself what the best plan of
action should be for the task at hand. THAT is the
value of an education. "What" is good, but "why" is
better.

BTW, (and I'm not making a point by saying this, but
rather I'm just telling it like it is) the teacher
that taught me to think for myself and weigh
everything accordingly was not a TechComm professor,
but an Architecture professor. (Thank you, Frances!)

--- Victoria Sharpe <vmsharpe -at- prodigy -dot- net> wrote:
> So Bill, I suppose an educator SOMEWHERE talk you to
> think critically. The
> responsibility falls on us individually to question
> what people say and to
> weigh in and must of that falls into choosing a good
> program.
>
> Bill says:
> The one thing I don't regret from my schooling...
> being taught to think for myself and weigh
> everything
> accordingly. THAT is the one thing I don't regret
> learning.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer