RE: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: RE: ADMIN: FYI
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:01:14 -0500

Kent wrote:

Sounds like an opportunity to learn Diversity 101. Ya got ta know the code.
"Organizational fit" means "just like us" or "keeps her/his head down."
"Hours wasted" means "I'm lazy." "Difficult to work with" means
"outperforms me."

Codswallop.

"Organizational fit," I am glad to say, plays a very large part in whether
or not we hire people at my company, and we are darned proud of that fact.
It does NOT mean "someone like us" rather it means "someone we can work with
and trust." If we cannot work with them - for whatever reason - or if we
cannot trust them to do what they say they will, then we have no use for
them because they will drag down the rest of the team.

And as for "Difficult to work with," if the person in question is a prima
donna, has a huge ego, or does not respect EVERYONE else in the group, they
will have a negative effect on the team.

We take the TEAM thing to heart. Nothing here is done in a vacuum, nothing
is accomplished by one person. We ALL have to deliver. And if someone or
something affects the ability of the team, they are outta here. I hate to
fall back on sports metaphors, but ... What would you do if you had a
superstar baseball hitter, but he was an absolute jerk. While he may hit
lots of home runs, he denigrates his teammates, insults the manager, screams
diatribes at the press, feels that he is above rules, doesn't show up for
practices, and the like. Do you want to work with someone like that? No,
and neither do I , nor would anyone who worked in a real team environment.
While his individual statistics might be great, his net effect on the whole
team is a negative one.

My 2¢,

John

John Garison