RE: Format of GUI element names

Subject: RE: Format of GUI element names
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:55:09 +0200

Coming in late to the discussion...I rarely say "the button." I usually
just write "Click Save." where the word Save is bold. For one it's shorter.
For another, it helps it stand out from the rest of the words for tired,
frustrated users who just want to finish their task and go home. When I've
read docs that didn't set off button names, I found that sometimes I had to
read the sentence twice to make sure I had it right.

I use bold for screens, tabs, and buttons. I agree that too many
conventions are tiring, but one convention used to set off all these items
is helpful. It helps the user know I'm talking about the <<Contracts>>
screen, not contracts in general. As far as the wasted effort argument
goes, I have defined a keyboard shortcut for the "Strong" character style,
so it's only a matter of pressing Alt+B to format the words. And I've saved
myself the effort of typing "the" and "button" each time.

On my data screens, there are two different save buttons each used for
different functions (I didn't design it; I just document it), so I typically
include a graphic of the button next to the word Save to eliminate
confusion.

Shalom from Jerusalem,
Sharon

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
SintecMedia
sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com

"Religion without humanity is poor human stuff." - Sojourner Truth,
abolitionist (1797-1883)

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230