Canadians doing offsite US contracts?

Subject: Canadians doing offsite US contracts?
From: Johanna & Charles <chazjo -at- magma -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:40:39 -0500

I am a Canadian (in Ottawa) and am really keen on
doing a US contract that will allow for offsite work
with travel to the client site roughly twice a month.
Am I dreaming here?

I have been trying for the past year to find this in
the Bay area and although a lot of firms are fine with
contractors performing their work offsite and coming
onsite only for information gathering and meetings, I
can't seem to find anything despite being a qualified
tech writer with a portfolio and over 8 years solid
experience for good clients including Nortel. Locally
I seem to be able to find contracts easily. But the
better money and more interesting contracts in the US
appeal to me, many of which seem to allow for offsite
work but so far I don't seem to have any luck in
securing one.

Can anyone relate to me their experiences in this
area? Do I need to pack up and move permanently or is
it possible to find US companies that will allow me to
telework from here in Canada? Any advice of input from
contractors (and hiring managers) would be really
appreciated!

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230