Making newsletters: PageMaker vs. MS Publisher?

Subject: Making newsletters: PageMaker vs. MS Publisher?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:42:12 -0500

Peter Shea is <<... trying to give our newsletter a new look. Up until now
it has been created with PageMaker, but I thought I'd try something new just
to stir the water.>>

Don't get hung up on the tool: if a new look is what you want, you really
need to spend a few hours with Roger Parker's books, plus a few more hours
in the nearest magazine store and the local library to see what kinds of
layouts others are creating. Find inspiration, there,then figure out how to
achieve the same effects with your current software. PageMaker (PM) vs. MS
Publisher (MSP) is just a tool issue, and since both can do most of what
you'll want in basic page layout, there's no reason to change horses in
mid-race. PM is by far the more powerful tool, particularly if you want to
do color publishing (via film) or high-quality PDF production, but if you're
just photocopying stuff generated on a laser printer, or producing simple
PDFs, MSP should do the job just fine.

One caveat: I've increasingly been hearing that Adobe plans to kill
PageMaker as soon as feasible and migrate everyone to InDesign or Frame
(depending on the type of publishing), so at some point you may need to
investigate alternative software. But all the service bureaus I've talked to
so far will continue to support PageMaker as long as they have demand from
customers, so there's no imminent need to change.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230