RE: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: RE: tech writer bookshelf
From: Elizabeth Boulet <EBoulet -at- mmrd -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:49:59 -0500

Mike write:
>I'm looking to beef up my bookshelf as far as books
>about general tech writing. What other suggestions for good books would
>you have?

Three books on my shelf that I reference regularly are:

Handbook of Walkthroughs, Inspections, and Technical Reviews by Daniel P. Freedman and Gerald M. Weinberg. Dorset House Publishing. / This book has review checklists for documentation and specs that I think are great, even if you don't do reviews. In fact, I've been impressed with all of the books I've read from this publisher (with which I have no interest or affiliation whatsoever). www.dorsethouse.com

Rapid Development by Steve McConnell. Microsoft Press. / This book is a plethora of information about practical software development. It has some interesting ideas for producing functional specs. Hard to know whether to laugh or cry when you read these how-to (and how-not-to) books on software development! (Of course, if you don't write for software docs, this book won't be useful.)

Handbook of Technical Writing by Charles T. Brusaw, Gerald J. Alred and Walter E. Oliu. St. Martin's Press. / They made me buy this one when I was in college. Nevertheless, it's a technical writing classic and a great reference book. I think they've just come out with a new edition.

Have fun!

-Elizabeth

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230