Re: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: Re: tech writer bookshelf
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:42:25 -0600

Here are a few I have, use, and recommend:

Standards for Online Communication, by JoAnn Hackos
Writing and Designing Online Help, 2nd ed. by William Horton
Human Factors for Technical Communicators, by Marlana Coe
Dynamics in Document Design, by Karen Schriver
Writing Software Documentation, by Thomas Barker
Illustrating Computer Documentation, by William Horton
The Art of Indexing, by Larry Bonura
Designing Windows 95 Help, by Mary Deaton and Cheryl Zubak
Editing: the Design of Rhetoric, by Sam Dragga and Gwen Gong

Those are just a few. I think you'll also find a bibliography on the
recommendations. If you just want to see what's out there, you can go to
Amazon's web site and search for "technical writing" and "technical
communication." Seems like there haven't been too many good ones recently.

I don't know if Wylie Publishers are still printing titles in their
"Technical Communication Library" series but you might check their web
site, too.

Jane Bergen