RE: The Origins of Techwriting (WAS:Re: Techwr-1 polls)

Subject: RE: The Origins of Techwriting (WAS:Re: Techwr-1 polls)
From: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:57:09 -0600

>>Meg Halter, of navair.navy.mil, asked about the British and US
WWII
>>maintenance manuals:

Another example of cultural differences in using manuals (or not): From last
week's Newsweek article on the completion of the international space station
(http://www.msnbc.com/news/485535.asp):

>>The cooperation has at times been strained-Goldin also chastised the
Russian government for underfunding its space agency. And the cultural
differences between the world's two largest space programs are so great,
says Cowing, that "basically, we think they're crazy and they think we're
crazy."
The Russians favor skills-based training, expecting cosmonauts to deal with
problems as they arise, rather than repeated simulations designed to
eliminate the unexpected. American astronauts never travel without
exhaustive procedure manuals; cosmonauts prefer to work from memory. "We're
normally overprepared," says Anna Fisher, head of the space-station branch
of NASA's astronaut office. "The Russians are more willing to accept some
surprises."<<

Sarah Newman
Technical Writing Group
Bechtel