HELP: Tracking Web pages for content updates

Subject: HELP: Tracking Web pages for content updates
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:25:58 -0800

<delurk>

Dear Helpful List Members:

About a month ago, I sent the list a message directed at a specific
audience. I received two e-mails asking me to share what others sent me, so
I think I need to open up my request to y'all. (What's the equivalent of
y'all in Canada, Ireland, and India? Reply to me off-list so Eric's okay
with this question.)

Query: I need to develop a Web page/content tracking, management, and
reporting system. I'd like to hear your ideas on how best to keep track of
Internet, Extranet, or Intranet content. You may either reply directly to
me, or to the list. Perhaps a reply to the list might generate lots of good
discussion.

These are the requirements I've developed so far:
* Changes to track: addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers,
personnel/department/team/division name changes.
* Sites to track: Intranet and extranet (2 sites, some similar content is
shared. The intranet also has content specific to that site only.)
* Flag content for future follow-up/review (e.g. every 6 months).
* Areas to track: sections, subsections (for example:
http://[sitedomain]/Section/Subsection1/Subsection2.asp )
* Also track: person who last updated content; date of last review.

We're thinking of creating an Access database, and having our Web
development department send the ASP file names to us. The database will need
to be easy to use. We have around 50+ ASP pages on our Intra/Extranets, and
the content will continue to grow.

Feel free to make software recommendations, or share URLs that will help me
refine the project's requirements. I'd like to know what works for you and
your company. I look forward to your ideas, and hope many of you respond.

</delurk>
Jenise Cook-Crabbe
P: (949) 672-8385
F: (949) 462-3294
Sr. Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Co.
jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com
or
jcook -at- pacificlife -dot- com
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230