Re: Techwr-1 polls

Subject: Re: Techwr-1 polls
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:35:42 -0800 (PST)

> I've
> been doing tech writing since the early 90s, back
> before there was even a name for what I was doing,
> and
> when such a job was still relatively unknown. There
> weren't a lot of courses or actual tech writing
> programs. For me, it was a lot of trial and error.

Hi Mike. So... what are you doing that's so nameless?
*g* The Web's been graphical since 1991, and tech
writing has been around (officially) for decades.

I graduated in '95, and specialized in information
design and information management. Lots of tech
writing courses then... and the grad students that
helped teach them said the classes didn't change much
since they took them...

I'm not sure where you're coming from. But, then
again, I've got "meeting head"... give me about 20
minutes for it to clear. *g*

But your point about trial and error is right on. No
matter what you study in school, you face a whole new
world when you land your first job. I still use a lot
of theory from college, though all the practical
knowledge I've gained has been from on the job
learning (i.e. trial by fire).

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer