Re: Newbies

Subject: Re: Newbies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:31:58 -0800

Horace Smith wrote:

> Folks,
>
> With regard to a recent thread, I find it difficult to believe that anyone
> would hire someone with no experience.

In this context, "no experience" should probably mean "no direct
experience with technical writing."

Somebody who has done no tech writing could still be a good hire if
they had general writing experience. Teaching or instructional
experience on any level could also be a benefit; designing and
teaching a course successfully requires organizational, writing and
explanatory skills that are not that different from those needed for
a writing project. Other possibilities might be a tech support
person who had a good record with customers, or a programmer who
wrote project specs and was good at bringing new hires up to speed,
or a communications officer for a local political party or any other
organized group. I've seen or heard of people with all these
backgrounds becoming successful tech writers.

Of course, it might help that, in many companies, almost nobody else
except a tech writer has any idea what a tech-writer does :-)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Rugen: Are you still trying to win?
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo de Montoya. You killed my father.
Prepare to die."
-William Goldman, screenplay for "The Princess Bride"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230