Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)

Subject: Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:38:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com> wrote:

> Bruce:
> Show me where my analysis of old vs new document management systems
> and the advantages of an XML-based system has elements of reductio
> ad absurdum argument.
>
> Do you dispute what I state about the ROIs that have been achieved
> by companies who have implemented such systems?

Its absurdum (whatever that means) because you assume that these things are
inherently valuable, when they are not. I think my 1983 era Intellivision is
cool and valuable, but that doesn't mean the market will pay me for it. XML is
powerful and very cool - but it is not a perfect solution. There are plenty of
firms and organizations that should not implement it as it would cause more
problems then it would solve.

I dispute the ROI of any large, complex documentation systems. I think the
money is better spent on training, education, and competent management for
technical publications departments. I would rather send my writers to a
programming boot camp and make them more intelligent writers than burn
thousands on an overly complex and rigid documentation system.

Put the power with the writer, not the systems.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230