RE: What's the good word? (clients and servers)

Subject: RE: What's the good word? (clients and servers)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:07:43 -0500

Geoff,

Well ok. :-)

One split of the productline will be addressed to single-user
encryption, signing/verifying situations and to
Registration Authority -- which might be regarded
as a server function. People will probably want to
be careful with their apps and hardware, but it's
unlikely they'll ever install themselves behind closed
vault doors, with guards, sensors, alarms and split-secret
access control.

The other line embraces functions that are almost
exclusive to server or source applications. The people
who buy those items from us DO hide them away in
fortified, high-alertness, redundant-security installations,
going so far as to require the presence of multiple trusted
officers every time the material is unlocked (sorta like --
the Cap'n can't launch the nukes all by himself... the first
officer must insert his key simultaneously... well I did
say "sorta like", not exactly like... most of our installations
involve money and secrets, not nukes :-)

So, the "server" portion of the product-line description
dicotomy was the easy part.
The hard part is that the product mangler who is
splitting the lines (and hiring someone to take on
one of them) feels that "client" tends to peg
the client/RA/? line in too small a hole. Already, it
embraces more than purely client tasks, and in future it will
include more products that wouldn't likely be connected
to a single-user desktop.

By the way, did I mention that we don't sell an
application? We sell hardware, drivers, toolkits
and some end-user enabling software, all of which is
meant to get our hardware working with third-party
applications... and that's true of both of the product
lines in question.

The differentiation is between intended markets, as
much as it is between likely installation locations
(i.e., the office or the server room).

I'm sure they'll eventually come up with precisely
the "mot juste", but since I'm on rather a different
schedule (we have several other product lines that I
document as well), I want to hurry these guys along
just a bit.

Grateful for the interest and assistance that's been
forthcoming already, I remain:

Kevin McLauchlan
Tech-writing Doofus and Frame Addict
Chrysalis-ITS, Inc.

(Jeez! I can't believe the random sig generator
came up with THAT one today...)

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230