Re: What is a reasonable training period for newbie writers?

Subject: Re: What is a reasonable training period for newbie writers?
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 06:47:21 -0800 (PST)

> What's your experience? How and when do you decide
> someone is just not
> keeping pace,
> or do you assume everyone has their own timetable
> and it will all work out
> in the end?

Everyone learns and succeeds at different rates. It's
up to the team leader/manager and the writer to
determine what the target is. It is also up to the
writer to communicate to the team leader/manager any
problems or any early successes. There is no out of
the box solution. That's why communication within the
team is so important.

If I hired a writer and that writer seemed to be doing
fine, I'd let the writer run with the ball and set
his/her own deadline (unless one was already imposed).
If I asked the writer how things were going and I got
a response of "fine", or if the writer reported
regularly that things are running smooth, I'd assume
all's well. Then if the writer hit the deadline with
incomplete or sloppy work, well, that's the writer's
fault. The writer did not communicate any problems.

Likewise, if a writer communicates problems, we'd then
be able to work out a solution prior to the deadline.
Doesn't mean the writer isn't working out - it just
means that adjustments need to be made in order to
meet deadlines.

But, if adjustments always need to be made, or if the
writer consistently avoids communicating problems,
then there is indeed a problem with the writer. Either
a new process needs to be implemented to help get that
writer up to speed, or, if all else fails, replace the
writer.

I know I'm getting off track of the original post a
bit, but the above is a course of action parallel to
training. You need to work with the writer to set a
pace that's comfortable for both of you and monitor
progress accordingly, making changes as needed along
the way.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer