Capturing pages in pdf

Subject: Capturing pages in pdf
From: "METZGAR, LISA" <LISA -dot- METZGAR -at- aei -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:58:49 -0700

I have question about capturing pages in pdf format so that the text becomes
editable.

Here's the situation:
We are having several hundred legacy manuals scanned into pdf. Most of these
manuals will not be changed, but there will occasionally be a few where we
want to be able to alter the text on a page or two. Altering the source
documents is not an option since in many cases the source documents no
longer exist, and we only have hard copies available. We are having the
documents scanned in off-site, and the scanners are using a docutech system.
The problem is that when I get the documents back I am unable to capture the
text in Acrobat. When I try, I get a message saying that the page is of an
unsupported resolution. It lists the supported resolutions as 200-600 dpi
for black and white and 200-400 dpi for grayscale and color. The documents
are being scanned in at 600 dpi. The scanner has has tried both a "Docutech
600" and a "standard 600" dpi (I have no idea what the difference is) and
neither has worked.

Does anyone know what can be done to make it possible to capture the text on
these pages. I don't want to capture all of it--we will only need to ever
access a few pages here and there, and it's not worth the expense of
capturing the text on every page at the time of scanning.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lisa

Lisa Metzgar
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.