Re: XML and professional page design

Subject: Re: XML and professional page design
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:24:08 -0800 (PST)

--- Susan Ahrenhold <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com> wrote:
> Note that "if and when" the XML revolution comes, it will be because
> of the drawbacks in HTML, not in XML. XML is a structural content
> language, and is used with XSL style sheets to produce formatted
> content.

Actually, if I understand the new XHTML specifications from W3C, the
XML revolution may be here. They're making HTML an application of XML.
The style sheets appear to be CSS rather than XSL, but I would expect
XSL and other style sheets to become very available for XHTML soon.

The obvious advantage of XHTML is that it is an XML application that
can be readily understood by those of us who haven't, yet, invested in
learning XML but can see it coming down the road as a necessity.

And especially XHTML 1.1, which is still a draft I believe, will
completely eliminate presentation information from the markup, leaving
presentation completely to the style sheets. That takes content
developers back to doing the writing separately from the formatting,
which would address your other concern.

I know I've been able to do some work in CSS, and I find putting the
presentation aspect there a fascinating exercise. It's also very useful
to know that I can quickly change presentation characteristics
separately from the content and structure.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems