RE: fair "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: fair "atmospheric" benefits
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- InfinitecNetworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:25:20 -0600

Elizabeth Ross writes: "Some would argue that on-site daycare is an
extra benefit that people with children receive, while co-workers who remain
childless don't get anything comparable. [snip] Is it fair? Why or why not?"

I think of a good slate of benefits like a good buffet ... you don't
have to eat everything, but if you really want something, it's there. Some
benefits will be used by almost all employees (health, dental, 401(k), and
so forth), while others will only be used by some employees. If I had
children, I'd appreciate on-site daycare, so I would lobby for that bene for
my co-workers. In some cases, it's the good of the unit, of the workforce,
that should be given primacy, not just the good of the individual. Plus,
your needs may change over time -- a good "buffet" should have almost
anything that any worker would need, and the people who determine company
benefits should be open to suggestion and to change.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Networks
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing
Winner, 2000 IABC Silver Quill Award of Merit for Technical Writing
Winner, 2000 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Merit for Technical Writing

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230