Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.

Subject: Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 14:32:18 -0800

At 10:05 AM 11/8/00 -0800, you wrote:

I'd be interested to hear if this is an actual issue or if I'm just
being "old", from any parents, teachers, or preferably, both, as to
how the two types of writing are kept in their place.

This is not an actual issue. Don't worry. ;)

I grew up writing email, using shorthands like that (l8r!) and stuffing emoticons :) liberally in my writing. (I went to my first chat room in the early 80's and regularly sent email to people in the mid to late 80s). And I'm perfectly capable of constructing a sentence, spelling correctly, and using commas appropriately.

It's just another form of writing, that's all. Kids know it's not the way you write "real" stuff. Just like plenty of people are profane out of work but know not to curse at their manager or write it into a book.

It's just another dialect, used when appropriate and not used when not appropriate.

-Katie