Re: OT? Recording Interviews

Subject: Re: OT? Recording Interviews
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:30:16 -0800

skwpt wrote:

> Does anyone use a microcasette recorder when
> interviewing SMEs? As a newbie interviewer, I find
> recording works well for me because it ensures I
> haven't missed anything in my hand-written notes.
> (And, yes, the SME *does* know he or she is being
> recorded.)

Recording is useful, but I'd suggest that anyone using a recorder
continue to take notes as well.

Why? Because taking notes forces you to organize the material, and
organizing the material is an aid to understanding. Of course, you
will probably take notes from the recording eventually, but if you
do it during the interview, you have a better chance of knowing what
you don't understand, and asking the questions you need to have
answered without having to arrange a second interview.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"A polite conformity with the notions of fools is a necessary
protection."
- Edgar Pangborn, "Davy"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230