RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:11:05 -0800

> This is a list of our "atmospheric" fringes: can you all let me know
> whether you think any of these (and which ones) make up for lower pay?
>
> free lunch every other week
> free coffee, tea, and cocoa
> flexible work hours
> occasional telecommuting acceptable (once a week is the standard)
> casual dress
> a standard 40-hour week

Well, since anon is collecting ammunition, I'll chime in too. This is
an awfully short list of "perks" for the software industry, at least
from where I sit. In the past few years I've seen (and received) all of
the above plus:
Free sodas
Free munchies (bagles, cookies, candy, spaghetti-ohs,...)
Free dinners for anyone working late
Swimming pool & jacuzzi
Exercise room or paid gym membership
Pool table, ping pong table, video game room
Paid professional society dues
Ability to expense technical books
Conference attendance (all expense paid) once or twice a year
if you present a session

Combine those perks with industry-standard or above wages, three
weeks vacation to start, stock options, respect, and an interesting
project to work on and your company doesn't stand a chance of retaining
employees.

You may want to point out to your boss that training new employees is
expensive and time-consuming and when that investment leaves for greener
pastures it costs more than it would have to pay a decent wage from the
outset.

Just MNSHO ;-)
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230