Re: Books on Writing Functional Specifications

Subject: Re: Books on Writing Functional Specifications
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:41:37 -0800 (PST)

I havce a selfish reason for expecting that others do just a little
research on the subject, then come here to discuss the research and
to ask that research to be augmented by others...I'm here to learn
just like everyone else.

A query like that in question does nothing to contribute to my
further knowledge. None of us do ANYTHING for exactly free
(knowledge, ego, karma, etc)...use the currency of increasing OUR
knowledge and we'll show you more information that you EVER thought
existed.

Do a little research, maybe phrase the question "I did a search for
Functional Specifications and got different rsults from different
engines...following is the list of what I think is most appropriate,
but it is lacking in client/server software FRS's...can you think of
any others that are more valid for C/S software FRS's?"

Now, that's something I can learn from by seeing YOUR links, I get an
indication of where you've been (and where you want to go), and I'm
more than happy to help someone else who has invested more than 30
seconds on their own....because I'll learn something too...and that's
a biggee in my book.

OTOH...if you continue to ignore that button built in to your
browser...the one that says Search, then why should I pay attention
to YOUR needs.

--- edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:
> John has a history with regards to such questions and in the past
> has been
> somewhat more eloquent in defense of his position. I for one agree
> with him.
> Reread the question that was asked. If you're looking for books and
> web sites,
> at least indicate where you have already looked.
> Use Amazon and your favorite Web seach engine and then ask the list
> for comparisons. Learn a a little about the subject and enter
> into a discussion regarding your findings.
>
> Unfortunately, as phrased, the question is asking the list to do
> the basic grunt
> work. This is the same gripe that many have towards the questions
> from students.
> Instead of clearly defining the questions, they are broad and open
> ended. Then
> the person requesting the info never even participates in the
> ensuing discussion

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer, in process of looking
for next contract effective 1/1/2001.
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
-Abraham Lincoln

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230