RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:21:23 -0500

I think your boss has answered his own question. If the "atmospheric
benefits" go so far to make up for low salaries, why do you still have high
turnover?

I studied this topic briefly in college, and recall that most studies have
found the only true way to prevent turnover is to have a good balance of
money, perks and intrinsic motivation.

In other words, high salaries in a crappy atmosphere will not keep people.
Great perks with low pay will not keep people. A person's inherent desire to
work hard and do well will only keep him/her at a company with low pay and
few perks a short time. You need all three.

The good news is a "decent" job of all three will keep people. You don't
have to have the most perks and the highest pay in the industry. You simply
have to keep pace with the standards -- and encourage people to foster their
own internal motivation to stay. In other words, they have to feel vested
and accountable.

Those are the keys according to most research I've read. And they've
certainly been true in my own experience as well.

Hope that helps!
Dannette