RE: training material and training sessions

Subject: RE: training material and training sessions
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:13:07 -0800

This is a subject that I think can help shed some light on the whole nature
of technical writing.
I think very few of us understand that we are all, trainers and technical
writers alike, in the business of performance improvement. In today's
economy, people need information in order to do their jobs. Our role is to
engineer a pathway from our audience to the information they need for job
performance.
The difference between training and technical writing is mainly where one
stores the information. In technical writing, the information is stored in a
manual, in online help, on a Website somewhere. If you want the job
performer to have more instant access to the information, you need to store
it closer to where the performer needs it - in their head. If you want to
store information in someone's head, so that's it's there for them to use
when they need it, you have to turn to performance-based training.
Building performance-based training requires a whole different skill set
than technical writing. The difference is a bit like the difference between
a playwright and a novelist - but even that analogy breaks down.
But I think that as a result of the different skill sets, people, even
professionals in the field, tend to see these as two separate activities,
when in fact they are both on the same continuum, with the same goal, to
make information available on an as-needed, when-needed basis.
The continuum goes roughly like this:
Training>Quick Reference Guides>Online Help>User's Manuals>Reference
Manuals>Detailed Specs or Parts lists.
This continuum moves from more performance-related to less
performance-related, from more hands-on to less hands-on, from more frequent
and more important to less frequent and less important, etc.
When I approach any information design project, my first priority is to
position the information somewhere on this continuum. To do that I need to
do a thorough task analysis. Out of that spills a pretty comprehensive
summary of the work I have to do.
My point, however, is that it's the same continuum, and if you don't see
that, you might be well-advised to take another look at your technical
writing and ask, "How relevant is this to the job the readers need to
perform?"
Good luck!
- Thom
www.documen.com