Training material and training sessions?

Subject: Training material and training sessions?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:42:41 -0500

Valerie Gilliotte works <<... for a software publisher. Training materials
are updates by the documentation team. Originally the training materials
were designed by consultants but they did not have enough time for it so it

is now my boss' responsibilities... I am aware that is it of great help to
tech writers for material improvement, so I am willing to do it as an
assistant a couple of times but no more than that... As a tech writer, is
training a natural progression in such a way that I do have to accept and
add training sessions to my duties (if my boss asks me to)?>>

Training is certainly a _natural_ progression, since it builds on your
existing skills (empathy for the audience, understanding of their needs, and
the ability to explain things to meet those needs), but it's by no means an
_inevitable_ progression. My personal philosophy of work is that I never
turn down a challenge if I have time to do a good job meeting that
challenge; apart from making life more interesting, it also means job
security (the more things you do, the harder it is for them to let you go).
Do you have the time and desire to do the work? Will your boss let you say
no? Those are the questions you need to answer.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230