Re: training material and training sessions

Subject: Re: training material and training sessions
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:35:36 -0600

Here are my questions:
2) As a tech writer, is training a natural progression
in such a way that I do have to accept and add
training sessions to my duties (if my boss asks me
to)?

As one who was an "Instructional Technologist" let me say that while there are some similarities, the skill sets are very different. Training is NOT a natural progression. There are more things about training than a writer knows about. You would do very well to learn about instruction techniques BEFORE getting involved as a trainer.

You have to be an expert at what you are delivereing train for. At least enough of an expert to be credible, and provide answers to the questions that will be leveled at you.

Look at the opposite track. Can anyone become a tech writer? Are the skill sets that easy to learn?

This is a totally separate job. The requirements to prepare for delivery would kill a good portion of your available time now used for writing.

Scott
--
Scott Turner