RE: Need help with a research project

Subject: RE: Need help with a research project
From: "Victoria Sharpe" <vmsharpe -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:58:18 -0600

I think it is a great thing that this PhD student is trying to make an
industry -academia connection with his research. How else do you expect
research to get done on a such wide level?

Most of the PhD's in technical communication are extremely gifted people and
have chosen to spend their lives doing research and teaching in order to
make the field flourish and gain more credibility. I know because I am one
of these people. I worked in industry as a TC and then returned to academia
because I wanted more, especially the ability to do research in industry.

As Andrew mentioned, I feel that I would be one of those 7 people (having
spent some time in industry) and can give any corporation more bang for
their buck than most TC's I have ever met and that is all because of my
education and my positive attitude that we need good people in this field
and not "pretenders."

Personally, I believe the field needs more PhDs doing research and should
welcome them, rather than treating them in such a way that they would rather
teach.

JMHO!-Victoria

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230