Re: giving writing advice

Subject: Re: giving writing advice
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:52:17 -0500

> how they may, perhaps, break into a particluar field, I always answer
> them. It
> took them enough chutzpah to contact me in the first place. And it's at
> that
> moment I remember what she said---"be humble."
>
> Something to think about Herm.

> Michele

Chutzpah or ignorance and insensitivity?

I have been writing and getting published for more years than I want to
admit to, and I have authored more than 80 books, among many other writings,
so I can lay claim to full professional status, I believe.

In all the years of reaching that status I never tried to impose on
working writers for free help. I got their help by spending my money to read
their articles and books on writing. For every book contract I won there
were probably at least three to five more that I couldn't sell, so I don't
need any special reminders to remain humble; the ready willingness of so
many acquisition editors to reject my ideas are reminders enough.

I have no illusions of greatness: I know that I win whatever I win by
sheer stubborness--perseverance, if you like that word better--not by
brilliance. The absolute refusal to quit is the most reliable way I know to
win. and it helps greatly to remind myselfthat no one else will do it for
me. It's my battle to win or lose, and only I can win or lose it.

I suppose I really should sorry for, not annoyed by, those who haven't
learned that lesson. - Herm

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230