RE: Voice Recognition Software

Subject: RE: Voice Recognition Software
From: christopher -dot- borresen -at- tellabs -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:30:25 -0600

Recommendations:
1. Pentium III and Athlon processors have instructions for speech
recognition on the chip.
2. To run just a word processor and a speech recognition program, 128
MB RAM minimum. To run simultaneous apps, 256 MB or better.
3. Stick with Windows 95, 98 or NT until patches become available for
2000 and ME.
4. Find a package that has a quick training curve. L&H and Dragon
require only five minutes to train your voice.
5. Train your voice twice.
6. Make sure the package you choose has a money-back guarantee.

How come nobody mentions L&H? They are in cahoots with Microsoft. Word
users take heed!

Christopher Borresen
Assoc. Technical Writer
Tellabs
christopher -dot- borresen -at- tellabs -dot- com

> > Can anyone say whether they have found "Naturally Speaking" (voice
> > recognition software by Dragon Systems) to be quickly useful in
> > transcribing taped conversations?
> > Any recommendations other than Naturally Speaking?
for more resources and info.

We tried the IBM program and two versions of the Dragon Naturally
Speaking s/w without enough success to be worthwhile, using an IBM
Aptiva
System and a Compaq 5030 model. I checked with others, and found only a
couple of people who had what they considered to be success with their
systems. On the other hand, I found many othes who gave up trying after
period of many disappointments. - Herm

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230