Re: Appalling English

Subject: Re: Appalling English
From: R Senthilnathan <rsenthil -at- gmx -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 22:19:17 -0500

Hi all,

Who is a 'native speaker' of English?
I come from a South Asian country where there are many standard English
newspapers.
All the journalists and editors are locals, and the number of mistakes
in the use of
English are not be higher than found in countries like the USA or
Canada. I also
know many South Asians (this might be true for many African nations that
were former
British colonies) who know only English, yet they are normally not
categorised as
'native speakers'. In fact, I had a friend who used to edit some highly
technical UN
stuff and e was a Sri Lankan.
Finally, I remember reading this sometime ago: The Dutch and the
Scandinavians speak
better English than the British, and the Indians and the Australians
write better
English than the British.
I do not know why co untries like Canada and the USA were left out, but
there it is.

senthil
rsenthil -at- gmx -dot- net

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230