Re: Appalling English

Subject: Re: Appalling English
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:57:39 -0700

At 06:32 PM 2000/10/31 -0500, puff -at- guild -dot- net wrote:

> Then there are cultural taboos. If I were to quote, for example,
> the "Twelve Networking Truths" RFC:
>
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1925.txt
>
> > (3) With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
> > not necessarily a good idea. ...
>
> I'd worry some about how a Saudi (pork is illegal there; the Koran
> is the basis of all their law) might react.

At a company I used to work at, the docs that described how to print a string used the example: "The king is a fink." This had slumbered peacefully in manual for many years, but caused great consternation when someone noticed it just before we were about to close a multi-million dollar deal with a Saudi Arabian company. It was removed in haste, and the deal was closed. I always wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been left in.
Philip.

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.