Re: FWD: How might I learn scientific writing?

Subject: Re: FWD: How might I learn scientific writing?
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:12:59 +0000

> Anon,

You already have the most important skill - the ability to write. As with all TW
it's a question of knowing your audience and writing appropriately. A good
starting point would be to propose articles for local magazines and work up from
there. Essentially you're like a newbie building up a portfolio and, as with most
things, once you've done a couple it gets easier. A bit part of it is also
marketing yourself and your ideas - if you pitch you ideas for articles well then
you increase the chance of getting commissions. Here research is vital - select a
magazine and look at their back issues to see the sort of articles they're printing
and then you have an idea of what to aim for.

Some time ago there was a document on writing for magazines (by Beth Agnew) which
was quite informative with lots of good advice. I'm pretty sure I still have a
copy somewhere if you're interested.

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff