documentation surveys

Subject: documentation surveys
From: Susan Pearson <spearson -at- espial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:00:17 -0500

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever included a survey with any user
documentation they've written? I would like to get some feedback from
readers about the usefulness of the documentation, such as what
information is missing, what information is useless / unclear, etc. Has
anybody ever done this? If so, do you generally receive feedback as a
result of the survey, or will ppl not go to the bother of filling such a
form out? I was thinking as an alternative, I could post the survey in
forums on a web portal our company runs, and offer points as an
incentive (we have monthly contests whereby participation gets you
points, which get you prizes). Perhaps this would generate more
feedback? Any thoughts would be appreciated on how to approach this, if
it is worth it, and what kind of questions to include in the survey.

Thanks in advance, and happy Monday,

Susie Pearson