Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?

Subject: Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:01:01 -0400

BMcClain -at- centura -dot- com wrote:

> I suspect the software described below is StarOffice, available for Win32 as
> well as Linux and a couple flavors of Solaris.
> http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/5.2/get.html will get you to the
> download page.
>
> Also, there's a StarOffice portal at http://www.staroffice.com.
>
> UGLY TRUTH: Some people say that StarOffice is compatible with Word, Excel,
> etc. Others say they're mostly compatible, but they're not perfectly so.
> How comparable is "comparable"?

Word is that it is a horror. Use WordPerfect. (Upgrade version about $99
street price and almost anything qualifies for the upgrade.) It will
perform 98% of your writing needs and handles large documents with ease.
See prior postings on that subject. Of yes, it will save to RTF and Word
formats. Many companies do not have it for reasons that are beyond the
scope of this list. However, one reason is that some system
administrators don't know it and are too lazy to learn, so they badmouth
the product.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)