Antwort: LaTeX and MS-Word: Finding Common Ground

Subject: Antwort: LaTeX and MS-Word: Finding Common Ground
From: kerstin -dot- molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:51:28 +0200

Hi Mike!

Michael Andrew Uhl wrote:

>For those of you familiar with LaTeX, I have a question. [...] The fellow
>I work with is using LaTeX [...] the other fellow is using Microsoft Word.
>They are having a lot of trouble finding common ground for the purpose of
>merging their documents. [...]
>Do any of you know of a workable solution to bridge a LaTeX user and a
>MS Word user?
Back in my astrophysics days, I have used LaTeX, and I still miss it every
now and then. I did not know Word then (still don't know it today, to be
honest :-} ), so I have no first-hand experience.

Anyway, I don't think there is a workable solution for you. Some of my
fellows had the same problem. At home, they had used Word to write parts
of, e.g., their theses, but at the observatory, they had only LaTex.
Everyone of them ended up with saving their Word files as plain text
(without any formatting information), importing that into LaTex, and
formatting the text once again.
Ciao,
Kerstin