Re: Questions about help authoring

Subject: Re: Questions about help authoring
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:49:19 +1000

At 10:23 21/10/00 -0700, David M. Brown wrote, regarding a question from Meg Halter about HTML files:

* Path and filenames are case-sensitive: help.htm, Help.htm,
and HELP.HTM are *not* the same file in HTML.

Yes and no. My understanding is that if the files reside on a Windows NT server, path and filenames are not case-sensitive. On a UNIX server, they are. I'm not sure about all the other possible server o/s.

So it's a definitely a good idea to make sure you code as if the path and filenames were always case-sensitive -- then you know it always works. And if the system is suddenly moved from one server to another, it still works.

(BTW, Windows does nasty things with the cases of filenames, and it's often difficult to work out just what the case really is -- what you see in Windows Explorer, for example, isn't necessarily what the filename *really* is. If someone has a foolproof, and easy, way to tell, I'd like to know what it is.)

It's also a good idea to use relative paths, not absolute paths, whenever possible when linking to any files within the help system and the application itself. A full discussion about relative vs absolute paths is a bit long for this note, but there are plenty of good explanations around, including ones in the HTML for Dummies books by our very own Deborah and Eric Ray.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/
Now available: Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of contents, go to: http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/olhbk.htm

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.