Re: Writing / Drug Tests

Subject: Re: Writing / Drug Tests
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:33:17 -0700 (PDT)

I said...
> > It is a two way street. If you respect your company they will respect
> > you. If
> >you treat all corporations as inherently evil, they will treat you like
crap.
> >Who started this little vicious circle - it doesn't matter. Somebody has to
> >stop it.

Then Katie Kearns said ...

> That's the most naive thing I've ever heard you say.

I've said plenty of other naive things.

> Many companies don't
> care if you respect them or not, they'll still treat you horribly.

Yes, many companies do treat employees badly, but many employees also treat
their employer badly. The Employer/Employee relationship is just that - a
*relationship*. Last time I checked my pop psychology, relationships required
both parties to take active responsibility to make the relationship work.

A lot of employers and employees get into abusive relationships. And it is
usually because one party takes the other for granted. Employers assume they
can mistreat people, likewise, employees assume they don't have to take any
responsibility.

Corporations are not in business to support your personal growth and happiness.
You have to attain that on your own. Corporations are in business to make money
and if you are not helping them make money, then you are part of the problem
and need to go.

Likewise, people do not take jobs to become slaves to some corporate army. You
do it because you need money and work. Companies need to respect your life and
desires - but there has to be limits. An employer cannot consistently
jeopardize profits just so all the employees can feel warm and loved.

> I'll
> also never work for one of those companies -- but plenty of people do.
> Depending on your situation, there could also be reasons why you're forced
> to work for one of these places for months or longer. As long as you are,
> it's important to make sure they don't take advantage of you.

People ALLOW themselves to be taken advantage of because of their circumstance
or their inability to handle their lives. Don't give me that "oh, we're all so
put upon" thing. American companies are literally shackled to the chair these
days when it comes to employment. There are so many laws and regulations
surrounding employment that it is impossible to have a fair and reasonable work
contract. The laws are heavily weighted to workers these days.

And you wonder why companies move their operations to Mexico?

> >See but the flip side of this is are you willing to endure a two day long
> >interview? Would you tolerate being asked about your personal life? What
> >if an
> >interviewer asked you "do you do drugs recreationally?"
>
> Then it's a stupid interview.

See that's it...you want all the goodies, money, power, freedom, and respect -
but you aren't willing to work for it. Once upon a time, hard work used to be
a virtue in an of itself. Now, the modern equivalent is slime your way in the
door, blame EVERYBODY else, whine that your not being respected, avoid your
job, and when people pressure you - assert your rights and sue your way to
happiness.

As an employer I should have a right to employ people who I think will get the
job done. And people who like to get stoned after work or have 90000 extra-work
responsibilities are not good hires. Why should I pay somebody a decent salary
when they won't commit to doing their job at my company? When they have to
leave early everyday to go have their car seats fung shui'ed or the braces
rotated on their 19 sickly children. I mean at some point - employers have to
get what they are paying for - work!

In any event, I see work as a Golden Rule thing...treat others as you want to
be treated. Treat your company as you want them to treat you. And if they don't
reciprocate - then yes, take off.

Andrew Plato

http://im.yahoo.com/