RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files

Subject: RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:03:44 -0700

At 10:44 AM 10/20/00 -0400, jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote:

The real issue is access WITHIN a file ... We have several .doc files that
we all need to access, but we all need access to different portions of those
files. What I want is something that will let us "play nicely" inside the
same file at the same time.

For example, one file covers a large module in our application. Several
other modules interact with this one, and a writer responsible for a
different module may need to get at one part of the "big one". Someone else
may be in the "big one" but in a different portion; I want to be able to go
to my section while someone else is working in their section.

And in our HATT, we're creating HTML files - yet, since they're all
contained as part of a Master File, only one person can access the Master
File at any one time. Again, what I want is access to my topics/HTML files
at the same time someone else is accessing their topics/files.

I think I AM asking for the Holy Grail.
What comes closest to the Holy Grail is FrameMaker's text inset capability.

Individual chunks or "fragments" of information (all of which are part of larger chapter files)
are created as separate text files, or, if a writer has been assigned a number
of such "chunks" on the same project, they can all be put into a single
"fragment" file, in which each chunk in a separately named text flow.

The larger chapter files become "skeletons", typically consisting mainly
of headings and glue text. Into these skeletons, the individual text insets are
imported by reference from the source "fragment" files as text insets. Because they
are imported by reference, these text insets cannot be modified within the
skeleton file. They can only be changed within the source "fragment" file.
Whenever a "fragment" file is updated, however, the changes are automatically
reflected in the skeleton file.

As you can see, the approach outlined above, which, to my knowledge is
only possible with FrameMaker, allows many simultaneous and non-conflicting
edits to be performed on the same chapter file.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.