Re: Writing / Drug Tests

Subject: Re: Writing / Drug Tests
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:32:34 -0700

Emru Townsend wrote:

> And, not to further polarize things, but just about any visible minority
> (and some invisible ones) in North America can tell you it's a naive
> assumption. Outwardly I, and several friends, are some of the most
> middle-class black people you'd ever meet, and we've had problems with
> police and security guards. Mostly minor, but that's not the point.
>
> It's nice to believe that only bad guys get busted. Too bad this isn't a
> movie.

I first noticed this situation when I was visiting in the Bay area
with some friends. They live in the Claremont district, a very upper
middle area of Berkeley. A daughter and son-in-law were visiting.
The son-in-law was very black and very upper middle class in dress
and mannerisms. About 9:00, he got up to leave, explaining that he
would be stopped if he was seen in the neighbourhood after dark.

A small thing, but it taught this white boy a thing or two, believe
me.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"People have so often been hurt and trapped and tortured by ideas
and contraptions which they did not understand, that they have come
to believe all things passing their understanding are vicious and
evil - things to be stamped out and destroyed by the first comer."
- John Steinbeck, "The Cup of Gold"