Re: accuracy in packaging

Subject: Re: accuracy in packaging
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:43:18 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com writes:
>| My favorite is the instructions on a box of Q-Tips (R) that tell you to
>| not stick one in your ear. That had to have been written by someone in
>| the legal department.
>|
>| From: Sanjay Srikonda [SMTP:SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com]
>|
>| um, has anyone read a container (box) of toothpicks and the instructions
>| "Insert flat end in mouth and use"

In Douglas Adams' _So Long and Thanks for All the Fish_,
one of the characters explains that he decided to become
a hermit and became convinced that he was the only one
"outside the Asylum" when he read the following:

"Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in
mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle
in-out motion."

"It seemed to me," said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that
had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed
instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a
civilization in which I could live and stay sane."

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The first Halloween prank ever, played by a group of Druid
teenagers, was Stonehenge. (`HEY! You kids get those rocks
OFF my LAWN!')" -- Dave Barry