RE: What do we call this button?

Subject: RE: What do we call this button?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:40:48 -0400

Why not rename the button to something the users will understand?
Documentation cannot cure a bad interface no matter how accurately you
describe it. Push for usability in the design, and accuracy of
documentation is much easier to achieve.

Given that the ellipses button may mean different things in different
functions within the same application, users will grow increasingly annoyed
by trying to remember what it means in THIS function, and do they really
need to use it this time.

The real estate required to change it to something users can understand is
negligible. If that's the only issue preventing the developers from
changing it, then in all likelihood there are even more significant problems
with the UI than the name of a button.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb