RE: The OTHER Test

Subject: RE: The OTHER Test
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com'" <NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:28:36 -0400

Depends on the nature of the software. When I did DoD contracting, we had
to, everyone did, programmers, writers, tech support, the receptionist. In
some financial industries, it's also a requirement. I find it no more, or
less, offensive than running a credit check or pulling my college
transcripts (good god, how relevant is a degree from 1982?). Such items
can exclude highly qualified people without any kind of extenuating
circumstances being known, but it's done to weed out the worst folks before
they even get to the starting gate. If you're going to test or screen some,
you need to be fair and screen them all.

I, like you, have had to go through the physical after the offer of
employment, but more and more companies are requiring it prior to the offer.
Genetic pre-disposition towards a serious illness is causing many to fear
the costs of providing benefits to those employees. Pretty heinous, but it
still goes on.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb