RE: portfolios vs. writing samples

Subject: RE: portfolios vs. writing samples
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:32:17 -0400

Erin Christine McLaughlin writes that as a student she doesn't have many
samples for her portfolio, but that in preparation for an internship, a
professor requires her to include samples from classes.

That's a great idea, especially if you have samples like they reflect the
type of documents you might write on the job. When I was reviewing
applications for an entry-level position, I found samples from classes
helpful in showing me:
* what was the candidate learning in a TW program
* what I might expect the candidate to be able to produce on the job

If you don't think you have good samples from classes, consider making up
some samples (e.g., do a good job writing up instructions for your mother or
a friend to do something).

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions