Re: Free CueCat Device uses Barcodes to launch web sites

Subject: Re: Free CueCat Device uses Barcodes to launch web sites
From: "Kay Ethier" <kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com>
To: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:03:33 -0500

> There's a reason they can afford to give away the CueCat for free;
they
> collect information on each user that registers the product and
track that
> with each time you use the device. For example, if you use the
CueCat to
> scan a baby toy, they then know that you have a baby, or are at
least a
> consumer with an interest in baby goods.

Hate to alarm you, guys, but this very same thing happens when you
scan your VIP card at the grocery store. They give you a lovely
little discount, then bank all your data -- grocery item by grocery
item -- along with your name. Just think how much personal info that
provides...

Kay Ethier
Bright Path Solutions
919.547.0129
http://www.travelthepath.com
Vice President, STC Carolina Chapter
Senior Editor, "IT:Information Technology for Professionals"
Adobe Certified [FrameMaker] Expert