RE: Alternatives to RoboHelp

Subject: RE: Alternatives to RoboHelp
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:39:11 -0700

Since it hasn't yet been mentioned...

George Hinman (techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com) asks:

> > I am currently using RoboHelp to create HTML help. I am
> > frustrated by artificial limitations (e.g. you can insert an mpeg
> > file, but you can avi??) and the high cost compared to some of
> > the more economical html editors, Front Page, Dreamweaver.

And Michele Marques adds:

> I'm happy with ForeHelp. I haven't created HTML Help with it, but I have
> created WinHelp, Web Help (HTML help for browsers, called "interhelp" by
> ForeHelp) and JavaHelp.

There's always Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop (HHW). Slimmed down,
feature-poor, it is the engine on which all the other HTML help systems are
built--and it's free from the MSDN web site.

Most of the groups at Microsoft author in Homesite, and then compile using
HHW. You have to write your own macros in Javascript (or borrow others), but
you can compile any file into the CHM, and have maximum control--though
there are a ton of bugs that'll bite...

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com